Hazardous Waste

Distress and rescue flares

Distress and recsue flares are not accepted in your local council’s kerbside recycling bin, bag or box or residual bin.

Distress or rescue flares are also not accepted at your local Household Waste Recycling Centre.

If you have out of date flares and need to arrange their safe disposal, you should contact the supplier you bought them from to see if they will take them back.

A local life raft service agent may also be able to take your out of date flares from you as they deal with the disposal of such items on a regular basis.

It is also worth checking if your local port or marina will accept them as they may have disposal arrangements.

To dispose of flares please contact Ramora UK Ltd. Find out more: www.ramorauk.com


  • Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority can dispose of some hazardous household waste types at some Household Waste Recycling Centre.
  • This service it is dependent on what the waste is, and how much of it there is. Please call Tel: 0151 255 1444 to check before travelling to a Centre.
  • Examples of hazardous household wastes include: garden chemicals, weed-killers, insecticides, household cleaning products.

Have you found the recycleright website helpful?



Thank you!