Hazardous Waste

Japanese Knotweed

Japanese knotweed is not accepted in your local council’s kerbside recycling bin, bag or box or residual bin.

Japanese Knotweed is also not accepted at your local Household Waste Recycling Centre.

Japanese Knotweed requires specialist disposal.

You should contact the Environment Agency for help if you have more questions about how to handle Japanese knotweed and want to find out more about when you need a licence to dispose of Japanese knotweed.

Environment Agency email: enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk or Tel: 03708 506 506



  • Merseyside Recycling and Waste Authority can dispose of some hazardous household waste types at some Household Waste Recycling Centre.
  • This service it is dependent on what the waste is, and how much of it there is. Please call Tel: 0151 255 1444 to check before travelling to a Centre.
  • Examples of hazardous household wastes include: garden chemicals, weed-killers, insecticides, household cleaning products.

Have you found the recycleright website helpful?



Thank you!